As a line manager there are a couple of specific components that are worth focusing on with respect to feedback and coaching:
- Being as specific as possible and avoiding generalisations
- Thinking about whether this is the right time
- Avoiding being judgemental and focusing on being descriptive
- Providing a balanced view
- Having a two way conversation
- Maintaining self esteem.
Click on the image to make it bigger and print it out as a reference.
As with all development this requires practice so don't expect to get it absolutely right first time. Also, the next time you are on the 'receiving end' have a think about why it went well, or not so well. Which of the components above were in place and which weren't - why and how did that make a difference?